Thursday, June 4, 2015

Pusey house Day 1

Mother Sellon's last will:

I Priscilla Lydia Sellon of Abbyemere Plymouth and of St. Saviours Osnaburgh Street Middlesex and of Ascot Priory Berkshire and of Holyrood Norham Manor Oxford declare that I die as I have lived in the Faith of Christs Holy Catholic Church and in communion with an allegiance to the Church of England.

I desire that in the event of my dying in England my body may be buried in the Burial Ground of my Society at Ascot.

With regard to my Hawaiian aopted daughters Keomailani Lily and Manoanoa Lokalia Shaw I desire that while unmarried they shall have a house in which house soever the Reverend Doctor Pusey and Miss Elizabeth Turnbull called in religion Sister Bertha shall appoint with the Sisters of the Society of the Holy Trinity -- either in England of Hawaii if they wish it or unless they prefer to return to Queen Emma or to their friends  And I direct that the sum of Two hundred pounds sterling free of legacy duty to be paid into the hands of their guardian The Reverend Doctor Pusey for the following use namely that in the event of their return to their country or of any grave illness Fifty pouns sterling may be applied to the use of the aforesaid Keomailani Lily and one hundred fifty pounds sterling to the use of aforesaid Manoanoa Lokalia Shaw.

I direct that the aforesaid Miss Elizabeth Trunbull called in religion Sister Bertha shall continue to pay annually the sum that has hitherto been paid for the use of Davida the brother of my adopted daughter Palemo Kekukaakapa now being educated by the Lord Bishop of Honolulu this payment to be continued as long as the said Davida is being educated under the Bishop or for as long a time as the said Miss Elizabeth Trunbull called in religion Sister Bertha shall determine.  I direct that the sum of One hundred pounds sterling be placed in the hands of Miss Elizabeth Turnbull called in religion Siister Bertha to be employed for the said Davida as the said Sister Bertha shall deem best.

All the rest and residue of my estate and effects both real and personal and wheresoever situate I bequeath to the Reverend Edward Bouverie Pusey, D.D. Canon of the Cathedral Church of Christ in Oxford absolutely and I appoint him to be the Sole Executor of this my Will.  But if he should die in my lifetime that I bequeath all the residue of my said real and personal estate to Elizabeth Bertha Turnbull, Georgiana Louisa Napier, Clarissa Powell or the survivor or survivors of them the Executorss of this my Will.  And I revoke all former Wills and declare this to be my last Will.  In witnness whereof I have hereunto set my hand this second day of October one thousand eight hundred and seventy six.  Priscilla Lydia Sellon



Signed and declared by the said Priscilla Lydia Sellon the Testatuse as and for her Will in the presence of us who being each present at the same time has in the presence and in the presence of each other hereunto subscribed our names s witnesses.


Marion Rebecca Hughes, St. Giles, Oxford
Ellen Charlotte Benton, Crescent, Oxford

No comments:

Post a Comment